From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 2:19 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] back to MS problems....

Not the same problem, but the same Microsoft.

Our MIS guy at work told me that at home his computer had become
infected by one of those annoying but mostly harmless viruses that kept
directing him to a specific search engine when he clicked on Google. He
said he found it and eliminated it and decided it had gotten into his
machine by way of Microsoft's Java program, which apparently holely. So
he decided to eliminate MS Java and download Sun Java. He said you
can't just eliminate MS Java, but you can disable it if you remove it
from the command line. Which he did--and immediately a warning popped
up that said if he eliminated MS Java he would not be able to download
anything from the internet. But he eliminated it anyway, went on line,
and downloaded Sun Java with no problems.

On Friday, July 2, 2004, at 02:05 PM, Donna wrote:

> This just in....FWIW:)
>
> Donna
>
> Microsoft Addresses Download.Ject Attack
> Microsoft has released a "configuration change" for Windows Server
> 2003, Windows XP, and Windows 2000 that improves system resiliency
> against the Download.Ject electronic attack, which caused panic attacks
> among security consultants and IT administrators last week.
> The company will post the changes to Microsoft Windows Update later
> today and will release them through Automatic Updates. The changes are
> also available for direct download from the Microsoft Web site.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadject

> http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida