Re: now Billy's greed, was If you have already seen this...

Is that embarrassing or what? 1957 is about right. Inferno Press, San Francisco.

Ms. Fatma says we have a copy and we should put it up on e-bay. I say probably not.

Incidentally, I had an excellent friend in college named Kent Sanders. Wonder if it's the same.

On Friday, July 2, 2004, at 08:11 PM, Kitty wrote:

Wow, Jim, I found a copy of your first works, published in 1957, at Ken
Sanders Rare Books for only $800.00! Someone else had it for $1200 pounds,
though I don't know what that translates to in dollars.

Did you save a copy or two for yourself?

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now Billy's greed, was If you have already seen this...

On Thursday, July 1, 2004, at 10:12 PM, Donna wrote:

So what kinda of books did you write Jim...\

Donna

Mostly the kind that would bore the socks off anyone who was not into
the subject. For the National Academy of Sciences I wrote books about
evaluating health care, an analysis of health care received by children
in a variety of different settings, an analysis of infant mortality, an
analysis of how federal research dollars are allocated among large and
small, pubic and private, universities and corporations; for the
Investor Responsibility Research Center I wrote analyses [two books] on
how institutional investors voted on investor-sponsored corporate
governance questions at corporation annual meetings; for the USDA
Forest Service and the USDI Bureau of Reclamation,
pesticide safety manuals... the list goes on and includes a briefly
popular textbook on HMOs.

That's just the book part. I also wrote three radio shows per week for
four years. Many chapters of text books, and lots of other stuff. The
most fun things I wrote were a series of op-ed page essays about the
blue of wild chicory flowers, the time my favorite cow broke a horn and
nearly bled to death, and what it's like to be a midwife when a prized
ewe is having a breech birth.

Wanta know more? I started writing poems when very young and by the
time I finally got to university, was publishing a lot of them. Masses
& Mainstream [the old commie monthly] called me the best [got that?
BEST! What an enormous overstatement that was!] poet of the Beat
Generation. Wasn't true; didn't work. There were a few persons ahead of
me. The first book my poems were published in was titled "Four New
Poets." Besides myself, they were Richard Brautigan [author of "Trout
Fishing in America" and other artistically and commercially successful
works], Martin Hoberman {who disappeared in Mexico before the book was
published], and Carl Larsen, who went on to write syndicated newspaper
columns and essentially silly books, like "Even the Dog Won't Eat My
Meatloaf."

And is there anything you haven't done?

Yeah. I haven't been abducted by a UFO and, you know, probed...

About 2 years after I finished the second book, the National Academy
of
Sciences hired me to write a couple of books for them.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4
Zone 10a