Re: bug id

You rubber-band a glass or mason jar with a clear bottom or protruding camera lens in the opening of the pillowcase.

On Saturday, July 3, 2004, at 01:12 PM, Kitty wrote:

And then how do I observe them through a pillow case?

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2004 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bug id

Try a pillow case.

On Saturday, July 3, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Kitty wrote:

Nope....hmmm....possibly.... These guys are fast. I was able to catch
some
only by snipping the branch from the deutzia and placing in a plastic
bag -
which of course suffocated them. Not sure I could make holes small
enough
that they couldn't escape, large enough for air.
I suppose knowing they are a hopper is sufficient for choosing a
control. I
tried spraying them with a mix of sevin and pyola, but they jump so
fast,
not sure I can get sufficient coverage. I don't want to use systemics
or
spray everything they might touch with something deadly to ingest
because I
value the bees and wasps.
So what suggestions do you all have for controlling such hoppers that
like
to suck the life out of a plant?

Kitty