Seed watch

Time before last when we went to the fruit stand on Pine Island, I bought a mamey apple [Mammea americana]. When I ate it, I saved the seed. The fruit is also called Mexican apricot, so that will give you some idea of what it tastes like, although it has less acid than an apricot, so it's blander.

Anyway, I planted the seed in a 1-gallon pot and left the pot on the cutting bench in the lath house, where it gets misted three times a day. This morning I noticed that the soil in the center of the pot is erupting like something major is trying to poke its head out. I keep going out there and checking it; it's like watching eggs in nest.

Mammea americana is a tree about the size of an avocado [to 80 feet with a 40 foot spread at maturity] so I think I've got room for one of them for the foreseeable future. Forty years from now someone will probably curse me for planting it.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4
Zone 10a