Re: Re: self-sowers

Donna,
I know some people who love being involved in too much.  Some do it well,
but there's always a catch somewhere - for you it is your own personal
projects that may suffer.

My MG nursery group is made up of people who have their hands in many other
projects.  This one woman is a perpetual thorn because she simply is
involved in so many things but insists on being there for our projects, then
falls back because something else came up.  It's a bear trying to schedule a
day to work.  Last time, we finally came up with a day she could make, but
not until afternoon.  The rest of us started in at 9am and then she showed
up to join us for a pizza lunch that one of the other members bought.  She
said she had a meeting downtown and couldn't get dirty.  So she finally
joined us at 4pm and potted 6 plants.  The time b4 that we had gone along
with her afternoon time.  However, when the day came, she said it was too
hot and she couldn't work in the sun.  We found her a shade job which she
reluctantly did, but after 40 min she said she was tired and went home.  She
was tired because she had worked on other projects all day.  She is on
several volunteer org. boards and volunteers for so many things, it is a
pain to work around her.  Don't get me wrong, I admire how much she does do,
she's a Type A and accomplishes a lot, but our group always gets the very
last of her energy and I resent it.  She finally shows up and asks, "So how
are WE doing?" I don't reply out loud.

I think people should not commit to a group or project unless they have the
time and intention to do it properly.  Instead of being depressed about
dropping some projects, you should feel confidently ambitious about the
projects you are committing to for next year.  Now you can do it right!

Kitty