Re: OT-What July Fourth Means to Me- Long!

Oh, I think depending on where you live, Jim, it is very close to the
real thing. In our little town, 4th of July is a big, big deal. Things
start happening the day before with an all day softball tournament that
the entire town turns up at sooner or later. The local bar hosts a
street dance with live bands that goes on all afternoon and half the
night. Families hang out at the park all that day and the next,
picnicking and playing. Relatives come to visit from out of town. Family
parties happening all over the place. Loved ones home from the military
are treated like royalty all over town. On the day of the fourth, people
pick out their parking spots at the park early. The volunteer fire
department starts early in the morning putting together the show for
that night. For a town of less than 700 people, we spend an average of
$12-15,000 dollars on fireworks, all paid for by volunteer donations.
Half our volunteer fire department pay out of their own pockets to get
licensed as pyrotechnicians. We have a parade that the entire town
participates in, one way or another. Lots of floats, horses,
politicians, candy, and best of all, fire trucks from as many
communities around as can come (this year it was 8!) Then by 7 in the
evening, there is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple of
thousand people milling around in town as people come from all over to
see our fireworks. It literally stops the traffic all up and down the
highway. And it is always, always preceded by the singing of the
National Anthem and the salute to the flag. It is a very patriotic deal
here where many, many of our young folks are serving in the military and
many of our older folks are veterans. This is not necessarily a time to
reflect on all that is wrong with our country, but rather to remember
that once upon a time, a few men changed the way they wanted to live and
in so doing, founded a great nation of people who value independence and
self-determination. I know of few people who would argue that in the
USA, for th

ose who are willing to work at it, almost nothing is unattainable. The
legend that Mr. Reagan chose to wrap those thoughts up in may not be any
where close to the truth (what legends really are), but I can live with
the sentiment underlying the words.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein