Re: Catching up

If you do a Google search on "vermiculite asbestos", Kitty, you'll see EPA and others are talking about vermiculite insulation, and mostly insulation that originates from a mine, or group of mines, in Montana. Not to say that breathing any kind of dust is good for you. I had a good friend, a sculptor, who developed silicosis from hacking up granite and marble. I can guarantee, however, that using vermiculite under mist eliminates any chance of dust.

On Tuesday, July 6, 2004, at 02:59 PM, Kitty wrote:

Your puppy looks sweet Melody.
The info on vermiculite came out about a year or so ago, I believe. I don't
handle it in large enough quantities to worry about it myself.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 5:55 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Catching up

Wow! Only away from the computer for 2 1/2 days and came back sunday
night to 276 messages! Took me until just now to get through it all! :-)
Took some new pictures last night for anyone interested:

You'll notice there is a new Daisy at our house, but she's not a flower
obviously...she's a miniature Australian Shepherd that we got about a
week ago! She's a doll!!! Only going to be about 18 inches tall and
about 35 pounds.

In the pictures, I included some "before" shots from about 2 months ago
so you can see how different parts of the garden are progressing! We've
had some awesome rains in the past couple of weeks so everything is
looking lush and full!

In one of Kitty's posts, she mentioned vermiculite. I saw a news article
last week that says the EPA has begun testing vermiculite and has found
asbestos contamination at a level that worries them enough to recommend
that people who use vermiculite in gardening should wear asbestos
quality respirator masks when using it, should not shake off vermiculite
dust inside the home from clothing, and should wash all articles of
clothing immediately upon coming inside and taking them off, as well as
good washing of skin that comes in contact with it. Has anyone else
heard/seen/read anything about this?

Hope you all had a most enjoyable 4th of July...ours was spectacular!!!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Island Jim