From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:10:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Catching up

Melody,<br>I think you'd probably need to research this on your own and
decide for<br>yourself. Then you could decide whether it is no big deal,
that you'll<br>continue to use with caution, or you'll find a substitute
amendment. The<br>little bit I use, I use with reasonable caution. If
you ask me "Have you<br>ever used vermiculite?" I'd reply, "Yes, but I
didn't inhale." Yes, I<br>realize particles can still find their way in,
but I pretty much live a<br>philosophy of not getting too worked up over
such things while still<br>behaving reasonably sensibly. But that
philosophy may be deemed to reckless<br>for
"Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:
Wednesday, July 07, 2004 12:39 AM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] Catching
asbestos was a<br>> matter of quantity...I thougth that even minute
particles of the stuff,<br>> when inhaled into the respiratory system,
can cause eventual problems.<br>> I'd really like to know, because I do
use vermiculite several times a<br>> year when digging new beds...it is
my favorite soil amendment for adding<br>> water-holding power to any
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>> --Albert
Einstein<br>><br>> --- On Tue 07/06, Kitty < kmrsy@comcast.net >
wrote:<br>> From: Kitty [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]<br>> To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:59:42 -0500<br>>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Catching up<br>><br>> Your puppy looks sweet
Melody.<br>The info on vermiculite came out about<br>> a year or so ago,
I believe. I don't<br>handle it in large enough<br>> quantities to worry
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 5:55<br>>

rom the<br>> computer for 2 1/2 days and came back sunday<br>> night to
276 messages!<br>> Took me until just now to get through it all!
:-)<br>> Took some new<br>> pictures last night for anyone
is a new Daisy at our house, but she's not a<br>> flower<br>>
obviously...she's a miniature Australian Shepherd that we<br>> got about
a<br>> week ago! She's a doll!!! Only going to be about 18<br>> inches
included some "before" shots from about 2 months ago<br>> so you can
see<br>> how different parts of the garden are progressing! We've<br>>
had some<br>> awesome rains in the past couple of weeks so everything
posts, she mentioned<br>> vermiculite. I saw a news article<br>> last
week that says the EPA has<br>> begun testing vermiculite and has
found<br>> asbestos contamination at a<br>> level that worries them
enough to recommend<br>> that people who use<br>> vermiculite in
gardening should wear asbestos<br>> quality respirator<br>> masks when
using it, should not shake off vermiculite<br>> dust inside<br>> the
home from clothing, and should wash all articles of<br>> clothing<br>>
immediately upon coming inside and taking them off, as well as<br>>
good<br>> washing of skin that comes in contact with it. Has anyone
you all had a<br>> most enjoyable 4th of July...ours was
most beautiful thing we can experience<br>> is the mysterious."<br>>

Support hort.net

join the hort.net fund
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com