OT- left/right hand

Thought you'd all want to know this little tidbit about driving on the left
or right hand side of the street

"Scotland is not a big country. By comparison our population is roughly the
same as the state of Maryland in the USA. Our road system is good and
traffic delays are uncommon outside of the rush hours in major cities. There
are several things that visitors should know, particularly if you are used
to driving on the right. We drive on the left in Scotland and the rest of
the British Isles. The reasons for this go back to Roman times so don't
blame us! Using the left was actually the logical way. The majority of us
are right handed and in violent, medieval times it made sense to travel on
the left because this meant that you could carry a weapon in your right.
This was true whether or not you were on horseback or foot and jousting
knights always passed each other on the right for the same reason."

Theresa
(a left hander who would have likely been unable to adequately defend
herself in medieval times!)