Re: self-sowers

Wow! More energy than I have (now)! Actually I can identify - have been in a situation where folks have pressured me into doing a volunteer job, and then when I accepted, reluctantly, found that it was not of interest to me, and fraught with conflicts with other projects more compatible. Sounds like she doesn't want to offend, thus said yes.
On Saturday, July 10, 2004, at 10:58 PM, Kitty wrote:

Oh my, no. My bet is that she contributes about 2000 hours per year to MGs;
more than anyone else. But on top of that she's a volunteer at Settlers
(some sort of Victorian pastime thing) and Fox Island Nature Preserve - as
well as being on the board of both of these. Then she volunteers at the
hospital and she works for the city engaging at-risk youth in creating
gardens around town. Add to that, she's a Vera Bradley Breast Cancer
volunteer and a Science Central judge. And I'm sure there's other things
I'm not aware of. Then the family commitments, of course. I believe she is
about 68 yrs old.

The point is she has plenty of energy and wears herself out doing all these
things. Definitely a Type A. I just wish that when we set a date
(especially when we work it around her schedule with a couple of weeks
notice) that she would not devote all her energy to other things on that
date and not have time or energy to meet the commitment she has agreed to
with us.

----- Original Message -----
From: "cathy carpenter" <cathyc@rnet.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] self-sowers

If she has so little time to devote to MG, how does she maintain the
title? In IL, if you don't contribute the minimum hours, you simply
cannot be a MG.
On Monday, July 5, 2004, at 09:22 AM, Kitty wrote:

My MG nursery group is made up of people who have their hands in many
projects. This one woman is a perpetual thorn because she simply is
involved in so many things but insists on being there for our
projects, then
falls back because something else came up. It's a bear trying to
schedule a
day to work. Last time, we finally came up with a day she could make,
not until afternoon. The rest of us started in at 9am and then she
up to join us for a pizza lunch that one of the other members bought.
said she had a meeting downtown and couldn't get dirty. So she finally
joined us at 4pm and potted 6 plants. The time b4 that we had gone
with her afternoon time. However, when the day came, she said it was
hot and she couldn't work in the sun. We found her a shade job which
reluctantly did, but after 40 min she said she was tired and went
home. She
was tired because she had worked on other projects all day. She is on
several volunteer org. boards and volunteers for so many things, it is
pain to work around her. Don't get me wrong, I admire how much she
does do,
she's a Type A and accomplishes a lot, but our group always gets the
last of her energy and I resent it. She finally shows up and asks,
"So how
are WE doing?" I don't reply out loud.