Chat: Musings

Dear all,

Friday I went to one of my favorite gardening places, Peconic Herb Farm.
I can literally spend a whole day there.  They have display gardens and
all the newest perennials, annuals and shrubs at reasonable prices.
They sell plugs in the spring and this weekend had a 1/2 price sale on
annuals and perennials that they hadn't moved up into quarts.  These
plants were in 2 1/2" pots and were the same size as those that were
potted up!  I had a ball!  This is a great opportunity to try something
new at a very reduced price.  I always get some great things!  I got
some zinnias in cell packs called "Benary's Giant" that grow 40 -50"
tall!  I replaced my favorite Plectranthus, 'Mona Lavender' which didn't
make it inside fast enough this fall.  It has velvety purple-black,
furry leaves and gorgeous blue flower spikes.  One year I grew it with
purple ornamental peppers!  I found another Plectranthus that I had not
grown before, 'Troy's Gold'. I bought three angelwing begonias to add to
the two I pulled out of the compost bin at Planting Fields Arboretum
when I was working there last week.  I'm going to plant them in a barrel
I have in my one of my shade gardens.  I may have to put a coleus or two
in there and pot up a begonia because they may grow too large for the
container.  The varieties were: 'Frosty', 'Linda Dawn' and 'Lana'.
Anyone know them?  I got a cool white sage, Salvia apiana along with
some other sages like 'Sapphire Blue', 'Indigo Spires', and S.
officinalis 'Nana'.

I bought a beautiful Carex siderosticha 'Island Brocade',  and Ligularia
dentata 'Brett Marie Crawford' that has deep maroon leaves.

I didn't plant anything this weekend though, as my daylily club had
tours of members gardens both days.  It was great fun, but I'm totally
worn out!

Eva and Auralie-  Our daylily show is this weekend at Planting fields
Arboretum in Oyster Bay at 1:30 - 4:30.  There will be over 400 blooms
and we will be selling some daylilies.  Our main plant sale is in
August. The Arboretum is lovely and the show will be fun.  Our club has
two daylily gardens at the arboretum as well.

Long Island, NY
Zone 7