Re: plants new this year

In a message dated 7/11/04 2:13:16 PM, Zemuly@aol.com writes:

<< Thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons I like living where I do.  I
just love hydrangeas.  I have huge ones now since they don't die back very
over the winter.  My two oldest ones are macrophylla.  They were pink when I
bought them, but being in this acid soil has rendered them pink, blue and
lavender.  In addition, I have 6 others, including two variegated 'Nikko
Blue' and
3 lace caps (whose names I have forgotten),I also have one 'Anabelle,' which
smells delicious.  Right now I just have two H. quercifolia.  >>

Zem, I love the hydrangeas also.  I  also have six.  I have a variegated
macrophylla which I keep just for the foliage.  I have a H. quercifolia and
Anabelle also.  My new macrophylla 'Forever Summer' is not blue as shown at the
nurserymen's show.  I planted using peat and added acid fertilizer but guess I
cannot reach the acid level it requires to turn blue.