From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:40:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Jim's new picture links

This reminds me--did anyone else hear the report on NPR about the
some <br>seeds [think, bristlecone pine, here] had to be subjected to
fire <br>before they would germinate. Turns out not to be true. It's a
www.npr.org.<br><br>Oh, yeah. And what the constituent of smoke does is
activate dormant <br>gibberilic [sp?] acid crystals in the seed, so it
2004, at 09:39 AM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:<br><br>> In a message dated
07/13/2004 12:05:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,<br>> kmrsy@comcast.net
writes:<br>> fungicide, though I suppose the hormones might help.<br>>
I'd love to have a set up like that. Having it ready and waiting <br>>
would make<br>> it so much easier to take cuttings whenever it occurs to
plastic "sweater box" - don't know what else it would be called -
about<br>> 15"x6" by 5" deep<br>> with a cover - filled with about 3 or
4 inches of vermiculite on my <br>> kitchen<br>> counter -
protected<br>> spot by a sunny window. The lid of the box was its tray,
guess how many plants I rooted in that box <br>> but there<br>> were
many.<br>> Whenever I had a leaf or cutting or pruning, a piece of it
new cuttings, I would pot them on. Since it was on the kitchen <br>>
counter, I<br>> was rem

inded<br>> to water it frequently, but never let it be soggy. I
plants produced their own hormones that helped other <br>> things<br>>
to root.<br>> Anyway, I kept the same vermiculite going - just topped it
cuttings when I removed them.) When we <br>> remodeled<br>> the
kitchen<br>> a few years back I promised myself a new box - that one had
years - but somehow have never <br>> replaced it,<br>> though I
think<br>> of it often. I usually have something rooting somewhere at

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com