From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 11:15 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] harvesting seeds

Pet Peeve time...
Why don't people look at the word before saying it?  It is not the color
fuchsia; it is a plant fuchsia.  It is named after a man named Fuchs.  It is
pronounced Fyooks-ee-uh, not fyoo-shuh.  (oo as in tool)

Well, to be fair, I looked it up. On line dictionaries say everything is
fyoo-shuh. But I think Mr Fuchs would have resented being introduced as Mr.
Fyoosh.  Modern botanical dictionaries allow for fyoo-shuh, but mainly refer
to it as a popular pronunciation, not as correct.

All you have to do is LOOK at the word!  How can the letters chs give a sh
sound?  Look where the s IS!  Anyone ever heard of phonics?

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Kitty