Re: harvesting seeds

Re >   I just wish  there was a guide to
> pronouncing the botanic names of plants.

Zem,
American Nurseryman Publishing prints a small pocket guide called "New
Pronouncing Dictionary of Plant Names", which costs $5.95.  Besides
pronunciation, it includes brief definitions.  If it is a Genus name, like
Sempervivum, the definition is usually a common name, Houseleek.  If the
word is a species epithet, such as saxatilis (As in Aurinia saxatilis), it
is more of a translation - in the case of saxatilis, it means "found among
rocks".

For some reason ANP doesn't include it in its online offerings, but they do
list it as a 'bestseller' in their print catalog.  I found other online
booksellers who carry it (ISBN # 1-887632-50-6) but want as much as $9.00
for it.
http://gardenshoponline.com/reference/pronouncedict.html
http://www-cms.ag.ohio-state.edu/4DACTION/WEB_InventoryIndividualDisplay/201X

Here's a nice website for "Scientific Names of Plants, HOW TO SAY THEM AND
WHAT THEY MEAN"
http://members.aol.com/magarland/botlat/testhand.htm

And here's one with indepth taxonomy info:
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/sci-names.htm

You can print the material from the websites for free, but I like having the
litlle ANP booklet.

Kitty