Re: AGM awards

> The main reasons for using a pdf is due to compatibility and
> copywriting. You can open it via the reader in any system. Not all
> programs can do that.

I'm not sure if you meant writing copy, or copyrighting.  :)  If the former,
yes.  Most systems can output PDF, so it's universal, and, as you say,
compatible.

> The reason for the larger file is it saves all the blank spaces as if
> they were a typed area. Why you ask? Formatting, it keeps the info lined
> up the same on everyone's screen/printer.

Actually, it's because the fonts are embedded into the document as well.
If you use more fonts, you'll have a larger PDF file.  PostScript documents
usually don't embed fonts because they rely on a set of fonts that have
already been installed in the printer.

My biggest complaint with PDF files is that people usually don't create
them right.  The other day I was looking for zoning ordinances in Champaign
County, but they had one chapter per PDF file.  Of course, I didn't know
what chapter I wanted, so I had to download 48 chapters and scan through
them.  They could've just created one large file as well.  By creating
so many small documents they make it really awkward for people to use
in realistic, everyday situations.

> > But then, Adobe Reader is free. Adobe Writer is not. Maybe the trick
> is
> > "If you really want to make these documents useful, sucker, buy the
> > editing program. And, because most Adobe products have always been
> > notoriously overpriced, like they are a subsidiary of Eli Lilly or
> > something, it probably carries a hefty price tag. No wonder the
> > airwaves are beset by pirates. Avast! ye opportunists!

I should point out that there are many free packages to create PDF documents
as well.  Most of them are UNIX-based (which won't help most people here),
but...  This was how I was planning on creating PDF documents for people
to download of their plant inventories.  There's free software that can
create PDF documents 'on the fly'.

Chris (who only gets involved in these discussions because Donna copies
       him separately)