Catching up!

David- Wonderful news about your daughter!

Andrea- Your container is lovely!  Have you tried using the potting soil
with the moisture retaining crystals?  It really cuts down on the
watering!  I use it for my smaller containers and a  cement container
that tends to dry out quicker. Your back yard looks like a tropical
jungle!  Thanks for giving us a peek!

Eva- Sorry you couldn't make the daylily show, but there's a sale in
August and a meeting in October with a great speaker.  I'll send you
more info.

Now onto my show news!  I must be Irish, because I did really well in my
back to back shows!  It nearly killed me with all the preparation, set
up, classification and other responsibilities added onto exhibiting, but
it was worth the effort.

In the Asharoken Garden Club Small Standard Show, I won the Sweepstakes
Award for Horticulture and received two of the five possible Award of
Merits! I had entered 40 horticultural specimens and got 16 blue
ribbons.  This was my first time entering in a standard show.  Our
district has a show in October that I'm thinking about entering, but I
need some pointers from Auralie before then!  I was so excited that
night that all my attempts at sleeping failed me!  Then yesterday at our
Accredited Daylily Show, which I co-chaired, I won Best in Show and Best
Double (with the same daylily)! I had four daylilies that qualified for
top honors. This was my third time showing, so I'm pretty amazed that I
won! Actually, the daylily deserves the credit, not me!

My sister and her family are here for the long weekend, but everyone had
weekend plans, so no one saw my awards until I got home.  My house is in
a shambles, what with the bottles, packing materials, extra blooms, etc.
left over from two shows in one weekend!  Not to mention that I have
four young adults staying here!  Robyn asked me "why do you do it?"
Good question!  I guess it's some sort of obsession!

One of my daylily friends and I are taking a two day garden hopping trip
to PA this week.  I hope it will be very relaxing.  I know it will be
fun!  I have to credit my husband for putting up with all of the
commotion!

 I will be posting pictures of both shows sometime in the future.

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7