Re: Daylilies

> There used to be something called write about what you know.
> Experience.
Gene,
This was my arguement with the daylily article.  I wrote:
"......So, when I see a big local feature article on the front of the
'Living'
section, I get excited and settle in for a hopefully good read.  Today, I
brightened at the title, "Petal Pusher", only to have my face fall dismally
to a frown at the subtitle, "Passion grows designer day lilies."  Once
again, a writer doesn't know, or doesn't care about his/her topic."

In a feature article in a local daily newspaper I expect in-depth reporting.
I expect much of it to be reporting of an interview with someone who has the
first-hand knowledge, not necessarily that the writer has it. However, the
writer should have some real interest and background in the subject rather
than simply repeat what the interviewee said.  He should then flesh it out
with some research of his own.  A real in-depth article actually written by
someone who knows their stuff is not what I expect in this venue.  I would
expect that in a magazine or a paper from a larger area.  Perhaps my
expectations are too low.

What I had in mind for a small daily column of 2 six-inch columns, would
include a certain amount of "compiling and > re-shuffling what others have
written".  This would be for several reasons. 1) space allowed, 2) my format
of simply introduction and reference, 3) a small quick "say hello to a new
plant" would be quick, something people have time for with their morning
coffee.   4) I do not pretend to be a real garden writer.

I would really love to see more true in-depth articles like the one you
wrote on Gentians.  But I wouldn't expect that in my newspaper.  That is why
I subscribe to better gardening magazines.  Locally, most people don't know
and don't care that there is a difference between lilies and daylilies, so
they don't print such features.  But something small, daily, might slowly
develop such an interest.

Kitty