Re: today

Well, I have ceiling fans - no a/c in the house; just the office.
They've worked fine for nearly 30 years - well not the original ones,
but the concept.  We also have lots of french doors and windows which
are opened at night and closed during the day creating cross drafts.

While fan motors may give off a minuscule amount of heat, IMO, they
are useful even when you are not in the room because they circulate
the air and help stop mildew - for instance, towels and washcloths
dry fairly fast in the bathroom when the fan is on, but take forever
to dry - if ever - in summer when it's hot and humid without that
ceiling fan.  Our fans run constantly in summer and a few of them are
reversed to run in winter to push hot air down from the ceiling.

Steve - the room doesn't know if it's cool as the fan only "cools"
humans by helping to evaporate perspiration that would otherwise just
sit on you in hot, humid weather.  But, like I said, it does dry
things out, which in my climate is as useful as cooling things off:-)

FWIW, I learned over the years that it is totally useless to install
a fan less than 52" in diameter...forget a 36" diameter fan;
useless....

And, Kitty, in my climate, you couldn't tell if the air around a fan
was warmer than it would be without - the cooling effect of the
breeze is more important than the ambient air temp. which is gonna be
hot anyway:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> Ask Marilyn:
> "My wife and I have a bet. I say that a ceiling fan is useless if
no one is
> present to benefit from the breeze. She says it still is cooling
the room.
> Please tell her so I can collect.
> -Steve Beubis, Harrington Park, N.J.
>
> "The fan actually is warming the air. That's because its motor is
connected
> to the electricity and drawing energy into the room. When people
are
> present, they may feel cooler due to the breeze, but the air itself
is a bit
> warmer. And when no one is around, the fan is worse than nothing:
It's a

http://www.hort.net/funds/