Re: today now weeding or lack of....

Try Lobelia siphilitica - Great Blue Lobelia - self seeds all over the place and seems to be more reliable than L. cardinalis.
On Friday, July 23, 2004, at 11:15 AM, Tchessie wrote:

I WISH mine would spread! Mine just survives, one lonely little lobelia
from year to year.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Marge Talt
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 9:35 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] today now weeding or lack of....

Lobelia cardinalis can travel. I've had it in my damp bed since I built the bed - 4-5 years?. Last year, I was rather astounded to find a couple blooming in the garden off the back deck, which is at the top of the hill; at least 25' higher than the damp bed and around a corner of the house and at least 75' away from that damp bed. The only thing I can think of is birds as we feed them at the deck near where these plants appeared. What also surprises me is that they've spread and seem quite happy in an area that can get pretty dry if we don't have rain. It's heavy clay, so that might make a difference.

I don't get to this garden more than once or maybe twice a year, so
didn't see these plants earlier, either - weeds can get really happy
out there:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
From: Donna <justme@prairieinet.net>
Speaking of weeding....

I haven't gotten to the area near John's train. There is a small
(read enough room for a bench) near there by the pond. Yesterday I
shocked to find a cardinal plant growing and blooming there....
(Yeah, I
know how did I miss a four foot plant)

Hum, and to think I was sure I lost it this year...ok the original
didn't but found a half dozen around that seeded... hum...