Re: Back to my garden....

Donna, get some Phlox paniculata and there are a whole group of fairly new
ones.  These are resistant to mildew and are a knockout in my garden at this
time.  I have 'David' (2002 plant of the year), 'Nicky', 'Laura', 'Franz
Schubert', 'Starfire', 'Blue Boy', 'Blue Paradise', 'Eva Cullum'  & others.  They are
a show, little maintenance and are great as a backdrop for lower growing
perennials.  I would try to place them now so they will be well established and
provide lots of bloom for next year.  Just be sure it is a paniculata.
    For non-hardy outstanding blooms I would suggest any of the Salvia van
houtti series.  There is a burgundy, purple called 'Paul', or orange called
'Cribbean Coral'.  These are like shrubs and weep with bloom.  Another great
Salvia  is guarantitica  bBlack & Blueb and is wonderful in ground or a mixed
container. Orange is the in color if that works for you, Senecio confuses (mexican
flame vine) has great color and is great with Canna 'Tropicana'.  A couple
that make a great color show and you can start from seed are Daturas and Castor
Bean.  I use the red CB (blends nicely with the Canna) and this year a have
the db yellow Datura in a hi glaze blue pot but this is a great garden plant &
will get larger in the ground.  All of these are low maintenance which is what
you need as you will be busy with other details.  It takes me 4 hrs everyday
dead heading when the daylilies are in bloom.  Today I was just mulling in my
mind if they were worth it or maybe at least I need to reduce the number.
    Also some Carpet, Knockout, Chuckles or Nearly Wild Roses will give you
nonstop bloom.
    I wish I was closer, i would help you prepare.