Re: sweet autumn clematis

Well, when some of mine do that, and get on my nerves, I just hack
them back.  They just grow some more and still bloom, if a bit later.
 O'course, again, you're farther north than I am and maybe have
shorter season, but if yours is toppling the trellis, I'd remove some
of it...what's left will bloom for you.

I've already hacked back the one growing on some Japanese hollies
twice and see it's smothering them again.  They will cover the side
of a barn if allowed:-)

Once these vines get established and a few years on them, they're not
all that easy to kill.  I've done it, but had to work at it:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis