Re: sweet autumn clematis

Donna, my Sweet Autumn Clematis grows in the corner of the 8' deer fence
around my
little vegetable garden plot - and extends about 15' in each direction.  It
is spectacular
when it blooms in the fall.  I know that this is the kind of clematis that
should be cut
back severely each spring, but I don't usually cut it back and it has thrived
for many
years now.  A couple of years ago after an unusually severe winter I did cut
it back, and
it did quite poorly that year, so once again I am just letting it go.  Some
time in the spring
or early summer I just pull down the dead branches from under the green part
- a nasty
job because lots of twigs and dead leaves fall down my neck and in my hair -
but that
seems to be sufficient.  There are always two or three birds nests in it,
too.  Mainly,
this is a vine that is going ot grow to great lengths or heights or both, but
it is one
of the highlights of the fall season in my opinion.

Ok-- my sweet autumn clematis has taken over the world. It has outgrown