Re: Airways have been so quiet

Holy Toledo - Weeds!
I just spent 4 hours weeding / deadheading the entrance garden at CES. This
is a bed that is supposed to more or less take care of itself, but we do
have one MG who volunteered to keep it in shape.  That bed is pretty much
the first thing you see as you come up the drive.  It is filled with asiatic
lilies and orienpets, peonies, daylilies, dwarf lilies and is fronted with
some sedum.  There's a crabapple tree to one side and a huge telephone pole
in the middle.  It is backed by another newer bed, that is sparse with a few
viburnums and some orienpet lilies.  Total size, I'd guess about 30 ft by

I stopped in to deadhead a few daylilies near my own garden and I just
couldn't take it anymore.  The whole thing was covered in bindweed - think
kudzu - which was in full bloom.  It was thick with canadian thistle, also
in bloom, at various heights to 3 ft.  I knew the guy who was 'taking care'
of it was planning to paint the leaves of the bindweed as an experiment -
but geez - the time had passed.  Some of the weeds were setting seed.  The
peonies had never been deadhead and were rotting under the blanket of
bindweed which held the moisture in.  The asiatic lilies and most of the
daylilies all needed deadheading too, though the bindweed loved wrapping
around the flower stems. The crab had about thirty 2-3 ft sprouts coming
from the ground all around it.  I ripped out as much bindwed and thistles as
I could manage.  I filled 3 heaping wheel barrows full of crap.

So, when your weeds 'get away from you', just remember the garden is always
weedier on the other side.