Re: Angelica gigas was: Was Bounce, Now Voles, This Summer's Delights

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Angelica gigas was: Was Bounce, Now Voles, This Summer's Delights
  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:45:40 -0400

> From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
> Angelica gigas comes from Northern China and Korea...that would
make it
> hardy to at least z4. I understand it is not long lived, though.
----------

A. gigas is often listed as a perennial, but it  tends to be
monocarpic; will seed around if it's happy.  I think of all Angelicas
as biennials that take more than one year to flower and set seed...at
least A. archangelica takes at least  2 years and sometimes 3 to
flower from seed for me; once it flowers and sets seed, it dies...so
instead of being a biennial (as that one is always listed), I think
it's also monocarpic.

I have read, but not tried this, that if you remove the flowers
before they set seed, you can keep a plant going for
years...hmmmm...may try that as I have 3 or 4 now; see what happens.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis