Re: clematis montana 'reubens'

Melody, I have it in my garden growing thru Cotinus coggyria 'Royal Purple'.
It prevides lots of foliage and blooms maybe 2 out of 4 yrs.   It died back
to the ground this year so did not have any blooms as it does bloom on old
wood.  The  plan was to see rather small pink blooms peeking thru the red foliage.
 It is located on the south side of the house & deck which does give it
fairly good protection.  I also have another montana, 'Mayleen' , that does not
provide much bloom either but is a prolific grower providing purple foliage cover
for a walk thru arbor.  I have always seen these given as a zone 6 plant but
I was not aware of that when I purchased it.
    Ceres