Re: clematis montana 'reubens'

Just watch out for the blister beetles in mid summer. They haven't been bad this year here, but last year they set mine back a year's growth, and almost killed my C. fremontii.
Cathy
On Thursday, July 29, 2004, at 10:42 AM, Kitty wrote:

Melody,
I have another C. montana, C.M. 'Wilsonii', growing just fine here in zone
5. All my books including AHS A-Z, RHS, Botannica say hardy to zone 6.
Mine is in a bit of a protected spot, doing fine so I checked with more of a
specific authority, Completely Clematis Nursery. They say:
"While montanas are root hardy to Zone 5, they are not reliably bud hardy so
use caution.They can be damaged by late winter thawing and freezing in these
areas so if possible give them a northern exposure....Because they flower on
the previous season's growth, they are usually left unpruned or pruned to
tidy only. Should they get out of hand or need to be restrained, prune
immediately after flowering in spring to allow new growth to mature for next
year's flowers. Since they are so vigorous, they are best grown as
specimens and not in combination with other types of Clematis."

It can be done!

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Melody" <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 4:38 AM
Subject: [CHAT] clematis montana 'reubens'

After looking more closely at plant tags from birthday presents, this is
the clematis I received. A web search tells me this plant is hardy only
to about zone 7. Any ideas how I can grow an 8-10 foot tall plant in a
pot? Anybody growing this? Please, I could use some advice about what to
do with it. TIA!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com