Adventures in seed sowing

A friend sent seeds of the allspice tree [Pimenta dioica] and I recently saved seeds from a papaya [Carica papaya "Caribbean Red"], and since both are tropicals--and tropicals have notoriously short-lived seeds--I decided to sow them today.

At the beginning of last season [that means when the northerners began to arrive in late October 2003] I purchased one of those six packs of 10-compartment peat pots at Home Depot. Two weeks ago, I used the last one to sow "Emperor" lychee seeds.

Today, when I went fetching for more peat pots I drew a blank at all garden departments and stores and plant nurseries within a 30-mile radius. Finally had to settle for those compressed pots, those buttons that are about the size of a poker chip. I wasn't forced to buy one of those "seedling greenhouse" kits, thankfully; found a nursery that more-or-less sells the compressed pots by handful--7.5 cents each.

But, anyway, now I remember why I prefer the peat pots. These buttons are really time-consuming to get ready to use. Guess I'll buy three or four of those peat-pot six packs next October.

Island Jim Southwest Florida 27.0 N, 82.4 Zone 10a Minimum 30 F [-1 C]