Re: Gourd

Ms Fatma already has plans for most of them. Classroom projects. I just want one to turn into a bowl [and provide seeds for next year].

On Jul 4, 2005, at 7:28 PM, Jesse Bell wrote:

WOO HOO...Awesome Jim! What are you going to do with them when they harden off? Build birdhouses or something more creative?

Jess

Following Jesse's advice, I let my one gourd vine climb. I don't have
any real good place to have a controlled climb, so I let it climb a
tree. Actually, a large shrub. This morning, I was setting some
concrete pavers under that tree to form a pad for a garden bench. For
no apparent reason I looked up in the tree, and there, 20 or so feet
off the ground are six or seven very large bottle gourds and a few
smaller ones.

When the vine dies and they harden off, I may have to rent a cherry
picker to get them down, but I am nevertheless quite happy that it did
what it was supposed to do.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W