Re: 4th of July weekend

I continue to grub goldenrod out of the "swamp" (drier areas thereof)
- is probably 50% weeded. Not trying to get rid of all of it, but it
has monoculture aspirations! Receipt of Jason's ashes now has me
shifting attention to the shade garden to prepare his final resting
place. Cleaned up the perennial beds, removing some excess oriental
poppies in favor of asters. Need to do some plant shifting - the
amsonia I planted grew a lot bigger than I realized. Found a
bottlebrush buckeye seedling hiding with the oenothera next to the
house - definitely needs a new location. And then, there is the
drudgery of hose dragging... I knew there was a drought when even the
shrubs in the shad garden were wilting! We got .3 inch of rain over
the weekend. Not nearly enough, but had to rejoice anyway.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b