To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:19 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hib Help? Dave..are you there?

Years ago I noticed as people lugged all their houseplants out on their
porch or front yards and wondered if they really did do better outside in
summer. Then I read an article in (probably) Horticulture - one of those
True/False Myth Debunkers. It said that indoor plants don't need to go
outdoors at all, they are fine left where they are and often better off left
alone for the reasons David described. But I don't really think of his Hibs
as houseplants; they are outdoor plants that are simply wintering over in
the house, so, yes, they do want to get out in the summer - but eased into
the change as he mentioned.

I overwinter some plants and cuttings in the garage and in the house. Few
if any are actually houseplants. Many are tenders for my tender bed and
They are thrilled to get outside again when the time comes, but I do it
slowly and all seems to be going well. Last fall's Osteospermum cuttings
are all blooming now, as are the Ppl Ftn Grasses. The Plumbago cuttings
are full of buds. The original Acalypha plant that pouted its way through
winter is putting on new growth while the cuttings I took from it last fall
are happy as clams. My 3 yr Cordyline looks terrific, but the new one I
bought this winter doesn't appear to like sun, the leaves keep burning. I
thought they all liked sun.

Kitty

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>