Re: hibs to Moscow

So what is the red tape for sending plants to Russia? quite a project --
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hibs as houseplants

Hi Barb

Mine go out again in late April or early May. Sitting outside in cold rain is just as bad as actually freezing. So, for you in Grass Valley I would wait until mid to late May. I don't know what your nighttime temps are there. Honestly we can't give hibs what they prefer here in Cal. What they prefer is between 60 and 90. All we can do is the best we can do. They do just fine with our climate but because we have drier air we have more extreme temp ranges on a daily basis. Our plants will never grow as quickly as those who have very warm nightime temps. Here in Santa Rosa we usually have nighttime temps in the low 50's or high 40's. But, we don't have the range of critters that others have to contend with nor do we have the fungal problems that other areas have. So there is a trade-off. You can do well with these anywhere. You just have to make adjustments for your area.

David
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Tandy" <sundrops@earthlink.net>