Re: I'm exhausted; Now snakes

Rat snakes seem to have an affinity for the indoors. I found one in my office at the nursery, and one of our designers found one in his file cabinet.

On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:22 AM, Lynda Young wrote:

I arrived home from work one day last week and opened my front door to
see a 3' snake slithering across my living room floor.  Startled me, to
say the least.  He make it into the kitchen before I could get close
enough to identify him so I called hubby in from the yard to help me
corral him.  Roy came in just as he slid under the refrigerator and we
ended up having to move the frig to get to him.  Thought he had
disappeared until I spotted him tucked into the hose recess, coiled
around the connection.  Took some doing but we herded him into a waste
basket - little bugger could move!  It was a harmless rat snake so we
carted him back outside and released him.  Have no idea how he managed
to get into the house, but I find myself thinking twice about walking
barefoot in the dark (as if my flip flops offer any sort of
protection!).  I love my beneficial snakes but I prefer they remain
outdoors.

Lynda
Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:10 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] I'm exhausted

I don't know anyplace that's snake-free except the Old Sod, Andrea, so
doubt if running will help. We have the deadly coral snake here, but
it's shy--I've only seen one--and water moccasins. Neither of them in
abundance. We have lots of black snakes, king snakes, and rat snakes,
but not as many as I would like--not enough to keep the squirrel and
opossum populations down. We also have Burmese pythons that people have
wearied of as pets and set free in the countryside. They are useful for
keeping feral pig populations in check, but we need more of them.