Re: Chris' restaurant/was Jim: recipe

Chris,

There are a couple of nurseries in England that do just that. Frosts is one
of them.  It was great to be able to wander around and pick out a cart full
of plants, then lunch on rich soup, fresh bread and a glass of wine, then go
back out to shop for another hour or so. They had wonderful displays, a huge
number of plants. Here's a bit from one of my columns.  "I arrived on a
beautiful June morning, and after a quick stop to drop suitcases, we headed
out to Frost's garden center to have lunch with another friend.
    American garden centers can take a lesson from Frosts. Good food on the
premises so that you don't interrupt your plant shopping for a growling
stomach. Perfectly groomed plants labeled "Pots of Pleasure" stood next to
planted gardens including low maintenance gardens, perennial gardens, and
water gardens (with a new product - a liner already covered in gravel for
that stream- never mind that Fran found a hole in the liner still on the
roll!) "

Sounds like it might be time to take the plunge. You could work in a
restaurant or two for the fall and winter, then in a garden center for the
spring, summer and fall, and see whether you like it. Having worked in both
wholesale greenhouses  and retail garden centers, I can tell you (as can
many others on this list) that it's a heck of a lot more work than you ever
dreamed possible, but also very much fun.

daryl
Zone 7a/Georgia/Gardening on Heavy Clay

 What I'd really like to do is open a combination nursery/restaurant.  I