Re: Chris's restaurant

Hello Chris,
Having traveled the path you seek.......
First up. Make an appointment at the Small Business Admin. Will not cost you anything but your time, but do begin there. Lots of experts willing to share their knowledge. Begin taking their courses they offer to small businesses. They have at the least 3 I can think of just off hand you need to attend. Each will be about $25 to $35 a pop. You will also meet others in your position along with becoming acquainted with local resources you will need. Beginning a Small Business is one title you need, along with Creating your Business Plan. Then their lectures on marketing.
You do have to have a business plant ... you *must* do a business plan first up. Clears you head helps you know what you actually want to attempt and the timing needed. Most small businesses tat go out of business early is due to lack of operating capital and lack of planning. If you do not know where you are going chances are you will not get there.
Also you may want to look into the Microsoft Small Business Kit... manual and CD.
You will also need an attorney you can trust and an accountant. No short cuts.
Operating capital... you do know there is no such thing as "free" money. It all comes with strings. If you take money ... operating capital ... you know someone is going to want something from you and your business. We opened a line of credit for the first time in our 11 years of being in business this past fall. You put everything up to and including your first born with the bank. Credit is dangerous.. to survive it has to be paid off before you eat or purchase more inventory... more pressure... If you really need credit you can not truly afford it.
You concept is not a new one. Does not take any thing away from the concept... just you can go check out someone who has gone before you. Nicest one I know of here locally is in Kiminsky, IN... believe the name is Stream Cliff Farms. Took an old farm, turned the barns and outbuildings into class rooms, small restraunt. Small rooms created with shrubs and picket fencing with tables. Paths and bridges. Inside seating as well. Small nursery. Family thing.... we always ourselves and spend half a day there. Best seafood sandwich around.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I really have no idea how to get started.  I don't have tons of money
laying around, nor do I have rich relatives willing to give me everything
I need.  How does someone get the money to start their dreams without
relinquishing control of the idea?