Lowes, lemons, Ms Fatma, and spaghetti

Lowes opened today. This is the first one to show up on this part of the suncoast. So on the way home from the botanical garden, we stopped in. Much more organized than HD. Prices about the same, though.

We found a variegated lemon--both leaves and fruit are variegated; flesh of the fruit is pink [think pink lemonade]--in a 5-gallon pot for $25.00, so we got it. It may have been mis-marked; normally variegated lemons that size sell for twice that price. I'll plant it tomorrow.

Ms Fatma is recovering from her ordeal. For her first solid food meal we had whole-wheat spaghetti, dressed with olive oil and sauced with a cucumber-yoghurt concoction. In Indian cuisine there is a condiment made of yoghurt, shredded cucumber, pressed garlic, and freshly ground black pepper. In Lebanese cuisine there is a cold soup made of yoghurt, shredded cucumber, pressed garlic, and freshly ground black pepper.

Our spaghetti sauce could have been either an Indian condiment or a Lebanese soup. Ms Fatma added crumbled feta to hers--there is something about Turks and feta cheese; it seems to be a comfort food with roots that go deep into their national gene pool.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10