Re: Chris's restaurant

As you know, Ceres
Owning your own small business is a way of life.... not just a job to make money. Has to be if one is to actually make money. There is never any time off, you are doing or thinking about doing 24 hours a day 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Year in and year out. Not a "bad" thing, just the way it is. Everyone thinks we take the winter off and go to Florida or something... or that we should. Winter is spend taking care of inventory, writing and publishing a catalog, rewriting a web site, giving talks, etc, etc.
It has rained on and off all week long. We did run away from home a bit each day. Went shopping for clothing and had lunch one day. Another day a friends garden and had lunch. Half day work carrying plants from the holding area to the display area getting ready for fall sales...... Always something that needs to be done.
We still have not hired employees... just the two of us, but that will have to change this coming year... should have last year and this one... far too much stress on the two of us... both physical and mental. you will have to get married for the free labor, Chris. (just kidding... just kidding)
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <Cornergar@aol.com>
Excellent, excellent advice, Gene.From my experience, Chris, I would say
your biggest problem (and most constant headache) will be finding and keeping
competent personnel. . Seems I have heard some Champaign people complain that the
help is there when U of I is in session ( and incidentally the customers as
well) but not in the summertime...when you would want them. And then there is
Workmen's Comp...a very large expense in IL.
And I think anyone who tries to start their own business has to be a bit of a
workaholic. If you think you should have a life that includes vacation time I
wouldn't try it. Of course if it is seasonal perhaps it has some built-in
time off. It is such a great idea I should be applauding instead of being
negative! I know Donna, Cathy and I will be there as often as possible...and maybe
Kitty too. Ft. Wayne isn't that far.But it's true that if a business has to
count on my disposable income it's in trouble! I think Donna asked what happened
to Mourning Dove. Do you know the answer to that? It was such a neat nursery
with a lot of innovative marketing ideas. Kathyz5 central IL