Re: leaking pond/ newspaper

I, too, use wet newspaper to line liner ponds.  I find it is much  better
than the underlayment that one can purchase, or old carpeting or pads  too.
Advantage being that it conforms to any shape that you have and  doesn't have
those awful folds like underlayment or carpet does.  It has to  be about a 1/4-
1/2 inch thick minimum  and makes a substance called  "gley".  This not only
pads the liner against any rocks, roots, etc. but it  also stops leaks.
Apparently when there is a leak in the liner, the gley  does not leach out the water
like the soil or other padding would.  It is  more or less waterproof.  So for
that reason alone it is worth doing.   However, it would have to be touching
the liner in order for this to work, so  I'm not sure how it would work with a
preformed hard plastic liner, unless it  was put on the pond before putting it
in the ground since one usually backfills  the hole when putting in a hard
liner.
David is your pond a hard liner or rubber flex. liner???  Just  curious.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 7/17/2005 11:02:33 PM Central Standard Time,