Re: leaking pond/ newspaper

Hi Noreen

It's rubber flex. It's supposed to have a 20 year guarantee.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 4:27 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] leaking pond/ newspaper

I, too, use wet newspaper to line liner ponds. I find it is much better
than the underlayment that one can purchase, or old carpeting or pads too.
Advantage being that it conforms to any shape that you have and doesn't have
those awful folds like underlayment or carpet does. It has to be about a 1/4-
1/2 inch thick minimum and makes a substance called "gley". This not only
pads the liner against any rocks, roots, etc. but it also stops leaks.
Apparently when there is a leak in the liner, the gley does not leach out the water
like the soil or other padding would. It is more or less waterproof. So for
that reason alone it is worth doing. However, it would have to be touching
the liner in order for this to work, so I'm not sure how it would work with a
preformed hard plastic liner, unless it was put on the pond before putting it
in the ground since one usually backfills the hole when putting in a hard
David is your pond a hard liner or rubber flex. liner??? Just curious.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 7/17/2005 11:02:33 PM Central Standard Time,