articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0

First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Viburnum odo

Same problem here. I have a wheeled, covered, medium-sized trash container
and 2 recycling bins that are more than adequate most of the time for my
needs.  I have 2 older rubber-type, removable-lid trash cans, too, -one for
storing tall stuff that tips over and the other for garage trash.  These
come in handy at sale time when I lay a door over them to make a table. I
don't have room to store more containers.  Fortunately, we can tie our
cuttings in 4-foot, up-to-60#  bundles for pickup.  A new city trash pick up
contract is in the works in which they want us to take humongous 96 gallon
wheeled, covered containers, which we essentially rent as a hike in our
bill.  the city would be paying something like $3 millon for them over time.
Lots of people are complaining about paying for and  storing these giant
bins when they only have a small bag of trash every week.  And then, what do
you do with the container you already have?

I do understand that it is easier for the collection worker to just hook up
the specially-designed container to dump up top rather than physically throw
it in from behind.  This in turn makes pickup faster and the company can bid
a lower price. But why should the customer have to bear the costs to make
their bid more attractive?  Besides, there is a concern that because the
bins are larger, people will be less inclined to recycle.  Add to all of
this the fact that they do not separate garden refuse anymore and our
landfills are getting bigger and fuller.  Geez Louise!

Kitty