Re: Temperate to cold

Andrea, I have a Camellia that I grew from seed.  My father, who
died in 1980, sent me a seed saying "try this - it might be some-
thing special."  It has had several setbacks, but I still have the
plant, and it has bloomed for the past five or six winters.  I think
it is a Sasanqua type - single bloom.  The special thing about it
is that it is a drooping, contorted plant.  The shrub grows only
about two feet high by about three feet wide - without any pruning.
I put it out in the summer and take it in in the winter when the
temps get lower than about 28 degrees.  It is a handsome, but
somewhat unusual houseplant.
I have also known another camellia grown as a houseplant.  Some
years ago we visited friends in Maine in January.  That experience
convinced me that I never wanted to move to Maine under any
circumstances.  However, the friends we visited had a very large
camellia plant in their living room.  This house was a pre-revolutionary
house without central heating.  When I got up in the middle of the
night, the water in the toilet was frozen.  But the camellia was full
of blooms - a five-foot plant in their livingroom where the temperatures
were often below freezing but maybe not too much.  They seem to
like being cold in the winter but not too cold.

In a message dated 07/19/2005 7:34:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,