From: james singer [mailto: islandjim1@verizon.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:52:54 -0400
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Emily

This may sound like I'm running for office, David, but I think it's
But <br>I think this is playing out on top of significant long-term
change. A <br>key factor in What's-His-Name Grey's, the hurricane guru
at University <br>of Colorado, prognostications is El Nino--and the
occurrence, <br>recurrence of El Nino seems to be influenced by the
effects are cumulative. The worst of what <br>you see today will be the
best you can hope for tomorrow. It took a <br>couple of hundred years of
reckless fossil-fuel emissions to get us <br>here--to the front edge of
reaping our harvest; it will surely take <br>that long a period of
constrained stewardship to get us back to a less <br>hazardous
environment, or even to one where we can maintain an <br>environmental
status

quo.<br><br>David, the problem with "theories" is a rhetorical one. Two
come to <br>mind--evolution and global warming. They are theories
because they have <br>not been definitively proven beyond all doubt.
Most intelligent people <br>understand that caveat; most intelligent
people also believe the <br>theories are true or very close to true. The
only significant deniers <br>are the Kansas state school board and the
2005, at 6:58 PM, David Franzman wrote:<br><br>> So Jim I think you and
I agree about this greenhouse effect thing. <br>> Everybody expects
instant changes and when we have one hot period some <br>> are claiming
that it's because of the gh effect. You and I both know <br>> it takes
more than just one season to prove or disprove a theory. <br>> However,
I wanted to ask you about last year and this years <br>> hurricanes.
We're off to the fastest start since recorded history. <br>> Last year
was