From: David Franzman [mailto: dfranzma@pacbell.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:58:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Emily

Hey Jim<br><br>Interesting and goes along with my thoughts. One word on
what you wrote <br>about evolution: National Geographic had an
interesting article on <br>evolution and Darwin's journeys. The author
lamented that the title of that <br>breakthrough scientific work was
labeled "The Theory of Evolution." This <br>gave the naysayers wiggle
room to denigrate it as merely a theory...meaning <br>just an idea
rather than a firm scientific basis for the study of life <br>science.
Also, and I think I wrote about this a few months ago, most <br>shocking
of all was that more than 40% of the American people do not buy the
earth/universe can <br>be counted in thousands not billions of

    http://www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>-----

Original Message ----- <br>From: "james singer"
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Tuesday,
July 12, 2005 4:52 PM<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT]

but I think it's both. <br>> In the short term, I think it's the
cyclical crap shoot that weather has <br>> always seemed to be--the
stuff of the Farmer's Almanac. But I think this <br>> is playing out on
top of significant long-term change. A key factor in <br>>
What's-His-Name Grey's, the hurricane guru at University of Colorado,
Nino <br>> seems to be influenced by the continual warming of the
earth.<br>><br>> The scary part is that these effects are cumulative.
The worst of what you <br>> see today will be the best you can hope for
tomorrow. It took a couple of <br>> hundred years of reckless
fossil-fuel emissions to get us here--to the <br>> front edge of reaping
our harvest; it will surely take that long a period <br>> of constrained
stewardship to get us back to a less hazardous environment, <br>> or
even to one where we can

maintain an environmental status quo.<br>><br>> David, the problem with
"theories" is a rhetorical one. Two come to <br>> mind--evolution and
global warming. They are theories because they have <br>> not been
definitively proven beyond all doubt. Most intelligent people <br>>
understand that caveat; most intelligent people also believe the
theories <br>> are true or very close to true. The only significant
deniers are the <br>> Kansas state school board and the current
6:58 PM, David Franzman wrote:<br>><br>>> So Jim I think you and I agree
about this greenhouse effect thing. <br>>> Everybody expects instant
changes and when we have one hot period some <br>>> are claiming that
it's because of the gh effect. You and I both know it <br>>> takes more
than just one season to prove or disprove a theory. However, <br>>> I
wanted to ask you about last year and this years hurricanes. We're off

fastest start since recorded history. Last year was a huge year <br>>>
with a friend of mine in Gainesville being whacked three times. Weather
anomoly <br>>> or a direct result of climatic change? Just curious if
your opinion has <br>>> been altered over the last year or

    http://www.atouchofthetropics.net<br>>>

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <br>>>
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>>> To: "Garden Chat"
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:19 AM<br>>>
heading for the Gulf. We'll know better on <br>>>> Sunday when it