Re: Lowes, lemons, Ms Fatma, and spaghetti

Welcome back, Melody. Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart, and Target mostly compete among themselves, I think, at the bottom of the business where nursery stock is concerned. Don't know about carpet or vinyl [don't use them]. Occasionally, one finds plants worth purchasing there--but, bedding plants excepted, it's rare. Except for the variegated lemon, I haven't purchased anything significant from one of those stores in a long time. But I do look regularly, because you never know what you'll find. I buy way more plants at society or collector shows and sales than anywhere else. And they're not small business, either.

On Jul 20, 2005, at 6:36 AM, Melody wrote:

Jim: Congrats. on the good savings on your new plant. Just as an aside
though, this is the problem with places like Lowe's and HD's that move
into areas...they undercut prices and drive small business owners out of
business. My husband works for a small carpet/vinyl store and they were
furious when HD moved in for exactly this reason. Seems to be these
mega-stores agenda. Might be good for the consumer, but bad for small,
local business.

Melody
Hills, IA zone 5

Work for the Lord: the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

--- On Fri 07/15, james singer < islandjim1@verizon.net > wrote:
From: james singer [mailto: islandjim1@verizon.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:24:52 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] Lowes, lemons, Ms Fatma, and spaghetti

Lowes opened today. This is the first one to show up on this part of
stopped <br>in. Much more organized than HD. Prices about the same,
though.<br><br>We found a variegated lemon--both leaves and fruit are
variegated; <br>flesh of the fruit is pink [think pink lemonade]--in a
5-gallon pot for <br>$25.00, so we got it. It may have been mis-marked;
normally variegated <br>lemons that size sell for twice that price. I'll
plant it tomorrow.<br><br>Ms Fatma is recovering from her ordeal. For
her first solid food meal <br>we had whole-wheat spaghetti, dressed with
olive oil and sauced with a <br>cucumber-yoghurt concoction. In Indian
cuisine there is a condiment <br>made of yoghurt, shredded cucumber,
pressed garlic, and freshly ground <br>black pepper. In Lebanese cuisine
there is a cold soup made of yoghurt, <br>shredded cucumber, pressed
garlic, and freshly ground black pepper.<br><br>Our spaghetti sauce
could

have been either an Indian condiment or a <br>Lebanese soup. Ms Fatma
added crumbled feta to hers--there is something <br>about Turks and feta
cheese; it seems to be a comfort food with roots <br>that go deep into
C]<br>Maximum 100 F [38
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>

Island Jim
Southwest Florida