Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful birthday wishes.

Say! I guess we got some rain here today while I slept...kids said it
poured for a bit. Can't tell...ground is still rock hard. I haven't been
able to do much in the garden for a while now...we've had some darned
hot weather here lately...high 90's with humidity nearing 100%. Pretty
dangerous weather and it has been unremitting. Has felt like August
since mid-June. Here where I live the weather guys say we are down
almost 7 inches of rain so far and we are in an offical drought county
as of this week. The corn, though tall like it should be, is not
producing any ears and many farmers around here are cutting their fields
for silage already...bad news economically for them.

For me what all of this translates into is that the ground is so darned
hard you can't even get a shovel into it, much less get the weeds pulled
out. But despite that, my garden seems to be flourishing in some
respects. The roses seem to have temporarily discontinued blooming, but
that is okay...everything else seems to be doing well and I have lots of
color and variety, especially with the coneflowers, daylilies, phlox,
hibiscus, etc. that are blooming. As compared to many of the gardens
I've seen, things look pretty good. I haven't done any watering so far,
which is my usual practice as I like to encourage drought tolerance and
deep roots in my plants. However, since it doesn't look much like we'll
be getting any significant rain any time soon and we're heading into a
100 degree weekend, I thought tomorrow on my first day of my
mini-vacation I would water everything really well. Of course, now that
I'm going to start watering, it will mean I am committed to once a

week watering for the duration but I think I can handle that.

On a sadder note, we had to put our last remaining kitty to sleep today.
Her name was Katie, she was 8 years old and for the past 2 years she has
had a terrible seizure disorder. Despite her medication regimen, she
started having seizures again on Monday and by today she was seizing
almost nonstop. Her seizures had become so violent that she ripped out 5
of her claws in the past 24 hrs. She had had enough and so had all of
us...it was time. Thanks in advance for the many thoughts and prayers I
am sure all of you will send...I'll probably not make it back on line
for a few days since Thursday through Monday promise to be very busy,
but I'll catch up with you then.

Melody
Hills, IA  zone 5