Re: New Lowe's

Yes, but our government, in its infinite wisdom, may not see things the way you do, Jim.
Laws are laws and apply equally to all... or something like that. We will eventually see where it all comes out.
I am not so sure their source this applies any more... if it ever did. Lets say I order wholesale plugs to grow on for 6 months to a year before retailing. Am I now the source..... I have been growing them for a year in my area. Lets say my wholesaler used tissue culture to come up with his starts... did he do his own TC or order TC f rom another source to grow on and rewholeslae to me? Where did the plant come from that was used in the TC? If my plug went through TC it has never seen weather... been in labs and greenhouses all its little life. Will my wholesalers have to tell me their sources?
Lets say I order in some shrubs to grow on. They come in 4 inch pots. Cuttings. Where did the shrub come from they took cuttings from. Perhaps my supplier is in PA, but the shrub came from TN. Perhaps my supplier ordered cuttings from another source in Sweden, who in turn obtained their source from who knows where....
While I try to give enough information for a gardener to make an intelligent decision about the plants I offer, including zones, the gardener has to take responsibility and do his home work on the plant he/she is seeking. Even then, I can only go so far... sometimes I do not know all the details. Most nurseries do not and never will. World and trade has simply become too globe orientated.
Gardeners who come by and purchase a shrub from me will assume it is from Indiana, I suppose....??? Even I do not have a clue where the shrub originated. I have grown my stock for a year locally. From southern or northern part of its native range... I do not know.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

Gene, seems to me that if you accept responsibility for the plant, that's close enough to a grower's location for mail-order nurseries if you back them with some sort of guarantee. You're smart enough to know that a hydrangea--no matter where it's grown--is not going to survive zone 10. You can tell me that when I order one and get off the hook. I don't think catalog nurseries are much of a problem.

But, AHA!, so that's why these no-name guys are now calling their 1-gallon pots 10-inch pots. Bizarre.