But I believe jerk-town Southern newspapers even less.

And I believe anti-PETA web sites to about the same degree that I believed the Swift Boat sleaze balls. So I sent them both [PETA and the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald) e-mails, quoting each other, and asking for comments. If it's true or what. I'll likely never hear from either of them. Not holding my breath, anyway.

Also, it's worth noting that there is only one PETA site. There are at least three site peddling anti-PETA invective. So, right or wrong, PETA must worry the hell out of a lot vested animal slaughtering interests.

On Jul 23, 2005, at 12:37 PM, A A HODGES wrote:

Melody, I can't even comment. This is truly appalling and vile.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC

[Original Message]
From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 7/23/2005 11:29:15 AM
Subject: [CHAT] This makes me ill...

I wondered how many of our animal lovers on this list had seen this
article.  It about made me  ill when I read it.

"ETHICAL" DEFINED: After more than 100 dead dogs were dumped in a trash
dumpster over four weeks, police in Ahoskie, N.C., kept an eye on the
trash receptacle behind a supermarket. Sure enough, a van drove up and

officers watched the occupants throw in heavy plastic bags. They
detained the two people in the van and found 18 dead dogs in plastic
bags in the dumpster, including puppies; 13 more dead dogs were still in
the van. Police say the van is registered to the headquarters of People
for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and the two occupants,

Andrew B. Cook, 24, and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, identified themselves as
PETA employees. An autopsy performed on one of the dogs found it was
healthy before it was killed. Police say PETA has been picking up the
animals -- alive -- from North Carolina animal shelters, promising to

find them good homes. Cook and Hinkle have been charged with 62 felony
counts of animal cruelty. In response to the arrests PETA President
Ingrid Newkirk said it's against the group's policy for employees to
dump animals in the trash, but "that for some animals in North

Carolina, there is no kinder option than euthanasia." (Roanoke-Chowan

THE MORE I LEARN ABOUT PETA, the less I think of them. The story of them
killing animals isn't even unusual. According to PETA's own filings, in
2004 PETA *killed* 86.3 percent of the animals entrusted to its care --

a number that's rising, not falling. Meanwhile, the SPCA in PETA's home
town (Norfolk, Va.) was able to find loving homes for 73 percent of the
animals put in its care. A shortage of funds? Nope: last year PETA took

in $29 million in tax-exempt donations. It simply has other priorities
for the funds, like funding terrorism (yes, really). But don't take my
word for it: I got my figures from

--and they have copies of PETA's state and federal filings to back it

The bottom line: if you donate money to PETA because you think they care
for and about animals, you need to think some more. PETA literally yells
and screams about how others "kill animals" but THIS is how they

operate? Pathetic. And you know what I wonder? PETA's *official* count
of animals they kill is 86.3 percent. But if they're going around
picking up animals, killing them while they drive around and not even
giving them a CHANCE

to be adopted, and then destroying the evidence by dumping the bodies in
the trash, are THOSE deaths being reported? My guess: no. While 86.3
percent is awful, the actual number is probably much, MUCH higher. How

DARE they lecture ANYONE about the "ethical" treatment of animals!
(I was *inundated* with requests by Premium subscribers for a way to
spread around the story and comments above. They're thus of course now
posted at

-- along with special

permission and formatting for bloggers to use. Of course, as
thecopyright notice says, you can forward this issue in its entirety,
too,by e-mail to anyone you think would find it of interest.)

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W