Re: Just hot everywhere

> Maybe I should get A/C after all.  For Romeo, of course.

Not even a one room wall unit for respite, Chris?  Don't work on that new deck during this, you'll kill yourself.

Kitty

-- "Christopher P. Lindsey" <lindsey@mallorn.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing everyone was suffering from the heat over the weekend. It
> actually cooled down just a little for us - from 105/110 during the week to
> only about 98 yesterday. However the decrease in temperature was due to some
> rare thunderstorm activity so the humidity went way up. This did not help.

I know what you mean.  :(  I'm sitting at home melting while just *thinking*
of moving.  Maybe I should get A/C after all.  For Romeo, of course.

The temperature is 98, humidity is 61, and the heat index is a whopping
124 degrees.

> I'm frantically trying to get all my garden produce put up and my fair
> entries completed, so I spent Saturday making jelly and Sunday canning
> tomato stuff (chili sauce & salsa); this did not help me cool off either.
> Still piled in the fridge are about 20 pounds of cucumbers. I'm serious this
> time, I am not going to go overboard planting veggies next year. (repeat
> this to self several times a day starting next November)

But think of the advantage -- you get to stand in front of the open
refrigerator door trying to make room.  :)

> Anyway the thunderstorms were an interesting break in our usual "clear sunny
> and hot, southwesterly winds in the afternoon" forecast. The power went off
> and back on several times. Water fell from the sky - okay, just enough to
> make spots in the dust, but it did happen.

We've gotten a fair amount of rain down here (thank goodness).  I went up
to Chicago this weekend to visit my parents and they're parched.  The lawns
are all brown and crispy.  I hope all of you suffering from drought get some
water!

> Friday I took the day off and went to the Los Angeles County Arboretum. Yep
> it was hot there too. So hot we almost had the place to ourselves, and
> that's not so bad. A grouping of huge crepe myrtles was in full flower, very
> impressive, and some of the Australian trees were also flowering along with
> a lot of the perennials and vines they have. Maybe it was the humidity but
> the eucalyptus scent was almost overpowering, and when we walked by the
> honeysuckle - wow.  We followed it up with a visit to the California Cactus
> Center, where I sighed over all the exotic succulents I can't grow. A nice
> day.

That sounds nice!  I'm glad you had a good time.  Arboreta are just so
awesome.  :)

Chris