poison ivy and wasps

Does anyone know if poison ivy vines that are sprayed with herbicide still
have sap that is poisonous?  Does the intensity of the urushiol diminish
with time?  I've got a spot in my mom's old garden, that I'm attempting to
renovate, that has some small poison ivy  "bushes".  They will have to be
dug out.  I was in there pulling today with plastic bags on my hands, but
I've reached an impasse.  I threw my shoes and gloves right in the washing
machine when I decided to quit.

While I was working some ground nesting wasps or hornets stung me on the
forehead.  My eye and head still hurt. They had built a paper nest under
some stone on a low wall. What should I do to get rid of them?  I need to be
able to remove weeds overgrowing that area, or I'd just let them be.

Chris Petersen
Northport, NY
Zone 7

chris@widom-assoc.com