Re: bird rescue

It's great you had a place to take him. What a cutie.
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bird rescue

Awesome Theresa! Proud of you! Amazing a cat would attack a bird that large.

On 7/26/05, Theresa <tchessie@comcast.net> wrote:
Well- tonight certainly got more interesting. About 8:30 I was opening

up the windows in the house since it had cooled off outside.  I opened
the side window of my husband's office- and heard a horrible screach and
saw a cat run away.  So I went dashing out to investigate.  Finished
shooing a black cat out of my yard and went down the side of my house to
find a young heron there.  He was most unhappy, but unhurt.  So... what
to do with it??  It didn't have all of its flight feathers yet, so I
have no idea how it ended up at my house in the midst of suburbia.  Went
and got a towel- thinking I could soothe it enough to catch it.  Yeah-
right.  This thing screamed at me and flew/hopped away a bit.  So- went
to get a box to try and catch it.  With some effort, patience and a
little coaxing (by waving the towel behind it) it finally hopped into
the box and I closed it up.  The bird (including long yellow legs fully
armed with claws on it's feet) was about 15 inches tall, with a beak
about 5 inches long.  Kind of fluffy still, but with mostly real
feathers.  My husband helped with the catching part, and then drove me
down to Cosumnes River Preserve about 15 minutes away where we released
the little guys near the edge of a stream that has some nice oaks next
to it and plenty of underbrush.  So.. hopefully he'll make it.  There
should be plenty for him to eat and I've seen herons there every time I
go.  I did some research to find out what kind of heron he was- and have
concluded that he was a Green Heron.  Here's a link to a photo that
shows a young green heron (mine was more mature that this one in the
photo- but still gives the basic idea).

http://www.carolinawildlife.org/gallery22.htm

And more info about the species (including a link to the songs of the
species).  The harsh squawking noise was the only one we heard.  It was
quite clear that our little friend was rather pissed off about the
entire situation.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Green_Heron_dtl.html

So, at least now he has a fighting chance of survival.  It made for a
fascinating evening for me.  I still can't imagine how it ended up in my
yard- but I guess at least he picked the right house to come to.

Theresa

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX